Dear St. Luke friends,
On this 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Christ reminds us that our names are inscribed in His Sacred Heart. Just as the coin has the inscription of Caesar, so is Christ's priceless Heart stamped with the sign of His insurmountable love for us all. The Heart that was pierced for our sins is the same Heart from which flows His Most Precious Blood for our redemption. Christ gave His all to us, his very life, no matter who we are or what we have been in the past. Our future lies secure in His hands. We need not fret because we belong to Christ who never fails to show us how much He loves and cares for each one of us.
Christ continues to manifest His love for us through His Word and Sacraments. The Word is Christ Himself, dwelling in sacred scripture, giving light to our path and teaching us the way to His Heart. Through the Sacrament of Reconciliation, we experience Christ who makes us whole and restores our souls to the original image He created us to be. We are nourished and marked by the love of Christ's sacrificial offering which we celebrate in our Eucharistic gathering either in our St. Luke Church or virtually in our own homes. We celebrate God's grace of belonging to Him in Whose image we are made and Whose love is sealed in our hearts. In the Holy Eucharist, the Holy Spirit empowers us as children of God, so we can give back to God what is rightfully His - we give Him our love, our time, our talents, our treasures, our own lives, in union with Christ. We are also fortified to bear God's love in our hearts and share this love with our families, friends and neighbors. We celebrate God's great gifts, the gift of His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, the gift of one another and all the countless gifts He has lavished upon us. For all these, we lift our hearts and voices in thanksgiving and praise.
In thanksgiving to God, offer yourself to Him in intimate conversation. In what ways am I called by God to act in love, merciful kindness, and humility, being made in God's image and likeness? How am I to share this calling to others? In union with Christ's oblation, lift up to God your heart, all your gifts, all your sufferings and sacrifices, even your pains and sins. Allow God to accept your humble consecration, allow Him to take over your life, as you declare, "I love You and I belong to You O Christ, my Savior, Redeemer and King. All that I am I surrender to Your will. All praise and thanksgiving belong to You alone. Amen."
Amidst life's turmoil and difficulties, let us never cease thanking our God of love and goodness. Let us ask for His healing mercies and grace, and call on the Holy Spirit to enkindle in our hearts the fire of faith, hope and love, so that in all things, Christ will be glorified.
Blessings and peace in Christ,
Rev. Jonathan Paala
1) INDOOR MASS SCHEDULE
SATURDAYS - 8:30am and 5:00pm
SUNDAYS - 8:00am and 10:00am
WEEKDAYS - 8:30am
2) ALL SOULS ENVELOPES are now available. Please drop your filled out envelopes in the All Souls Box in the Community Center. Your deceased loved ones will be remembered on All Saints’ Day, All Souls’ Day and in all Monday Masses in November.
3) This weekend, we will celebrate WORLD MISSION SUNDAY. Pope Francis reminds us, especially in this year of crisis, that we are personally called to mission – as baptized Catholics – to bring Christ’s love to those most forgotten, our brothers and sisters in need around the world. He asks us to respond through prayer and sacrifice and to be generous in next weekend’s collection for the Society of the Propagation of the Faith.
4) The Archdiocese of San Francisco is sponsoring the SACRAMENT of CONFIRMATION of ADULTS on November 21, 2020 at the Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption in San Francisco. For those interested, please register at the Parish Office on or before October 31, 2020. Click here for more details.
5) Next weekend, we will have the Pontifical Collection for Holy Land. Your donation is vital in helping our fellow Christians in Holy Land who are also struggling with this pandemic. Thank you for your support.
6) You are required to submit your CONSENT FORM (click here to download and print). This is in compliance with the San Mateo Health Officer's guideline and will serve as a waiver to limit St. Luke's liability and will be used for contact tracing purposes. Forms will be kept confidential and will be discarded after 45 days.
"Give to the Lord, you families of nations,
give to the Lord glory and praise;
give to the Lord the glory due his name!
Bring gifts, and enter his courts." (Psalm 96:7-8)